Families And Carers Support Services

Frequently Asked Questions

My mother drinks too much what can I do – I don’t want her to find out I am worried.

Bridges offer a confidential service which allows you to discuss your concerns with professionals who can help you to identify if your mum is drinking too much and offer you support to cope with the situation. Our key workers will be able to explain to you treatment options, support available to your mum and help you to cope with the situations that may arise as a result of alcohol misuse. If you would like to discuss the situation further and in confidence please call us or come into the office.

I think my partner is taking drugs

If you are concerned that your partner is taking drugs please talk to us. We will help you to recognise the signs of substance misuse, discuss your concerns and give you information and advice about help and support available for your partner. We will also help and support you and your family for as long as you would like us to.

My son needs treatment for his cannabis use

There is a lot of support available for your son depending on his age so please come and discuss the options with us. Cannabis use is mainly treated through psycho-social interventions which are basically talking therapies including Motivational Interviewing and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. These look at your son’s Cannabis use, his reasons for using and ways for him to change his behaviour. Living with someone who has an addiction to Cannabis can be challenging as often people exhibit mood swings, can demand money and can suffer from withdrawal symptoms. We are able to offer support to you as an individual or family to help you support your son through his recovery so please contact us

How do I know if my loved one is drinking too much

It can be difficult to tell if your loved one is drinking too much. Government guidelines state that women should drink no more than 2-3 units per day (1 large glass of wine) and men 4-5 units per day (equivalent to 2 pints). However there are some questions which you can ask to determine if you feel your loved one has a problem. Does your loved one drink more than 3 drinks on a regular basis? Do they need to drink every day? Does their mood change significantly if they can’t get a drink? Have you noticed that they are hiding alcohol or lying about their drinking? Are they spending money they shouldn’t on alcohol? Do they get upset when you speak to them about their drinking? If you have answered yes to any of the questions above they may have a problem. Please come and talk to us about your situation because it can vary from person to person. We offer confidential support, advice and guidance to help you. Alternatively you can speak to your GP in confidence about your concerns.

I feel ashamed and embarrassed about coming and asking for help

Most of our carers tell us that walking through the door to ask for help was the hardest thing they have ever done. We understand how difficult it is to ask for support when you have a loved one addicted to drugs and alcohol because we have been there. Most of our support workers and all of our volunteers have family experience of caring for loved ones who have addictions so we understand. We offer a non-judgemental, confidential service and we are able to offer support wherever you feel most comfortable, whether that is at our centre, at your home, at your GP practice or even at a local café. You can also call our phone line anonymously at any time just to talk. You are not alone and we are here to support you through this difficult time.

I overheard my 18 year old son talking about MCAT what is it

MCAT stands for Mephedrone. It used to be classed as a ‘legal high’ meaning that it was legal to sell and buy in the UK as long as it was not for human consumption. However it has since been classed as a Class B drug (under the Misuse of Drugs act 1971) which means it is illegal to possess or supply. People who use MCAT describe it as a mix between ecstasy, amphetamine and Cocaine. It can lead to increase in confidence, being more talkative, alert and euphoric. It does have side effects which include anxiety, paranoia, hallucinations, circulation and heart problems and many more. For more confidential advice, information and support please contact us.

I’ve just got a residency order for my grandchildren as my daughter is an alcoholic, but I am finding it difficult to cope.

We offer a dedicated grandparent carer service which is able to offer advice support and guidance. We can help you deal with problematic behaviour which may arise as a result of living in a family with addiction problems. We have a dedicated grandparent carer group where you can get support from other carers in the same situation as yourself. We can help to ensure that you are receiving the right benefits, can signpost you to respite care and support you and your grandchildren. You are doing a great job, so please contact us for support.

I would like custody of my grandson but don’t know how

Please contact use for support, advice and information. We have specialised support workers who are able to discuss the process with you. We will talk you through all the options available to you and support you at core group meetings, at solicitors meetings and in court. We have over 50 grandparent carer families who are accessing our service and we will be able to offer you peer and emotional support alongside professional advice and guidance, so please contact us.
Office Hours

Today10:00 - 16:00

Feel free to call 01642 605222 to speak to one of our team. When calling out of office hours please leave a message with your contact details and one of our team will call you back when the office re-opens.

 Monday10:00 - 16:00

 Tuesday10:00 - 16:00

 Wednesday10:00 - 16:00

 Thursday10:00 - 16:00

 Friday10:00 - 16:00

 Saturday10:00 - 16:00